Tuesday, March 3, 2015

To Begin

One of the most recent times I went to a bar downtown, I had my ass grabbed, my chest felt up, and my hand licked. I wasn’t wearing anything provocative, just for the record. I had on dress pants and a baggy T-shirt, showing a design of a hand giving the peace symbol. One of said grabbers mimicked the peace symbol directly on my shirt. He TOUCHED my BOOB. Then his friend grabbed my hand, licked it, and dumped on some salt, badgering me to take the shot of tequila they bought for me even though I had said I didn’t want one. “It’s already poured, you have to!” I drank it just so they’d shut up and then my friend and I hurried away.

When did this behavior become acceptable? I don’t have serious personal space issues, but I’m not so keen on random strangers grabbing me like that. Did those guys actually think it was okay? Could it have been my OVERLY SEXUAL BODY LANGUAGE inviting them to? I was slouched over on a bar stool, ignoring them while they talked to my friend. Ugh. 

They didn’t scare me, but I definitely didn’t like it. That type of attitude isn’t appealing, people. It really isn’t. 


 So let’s start throw out some facts: 



Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Who Are the Victims?
  • 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Among all victims, about nine out of ten are female.
  • 1 out of every 33 American men has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in his lifetime.
  • At least 10% of all victims are male.


And yet people continue to act like rape isn’t real. That’s why I want to focus on this thing — The rape culture thing, since it just astounds me that it’s still, in fact, a thing. How hard is it to just not assault people? How hard is it to just ask: “Hey, are you okay?” or “Can I?” and not getting mad if the other person says no? I know it kind of throws off the mood, but seriously, wouldn’t you rather not wind up in a court room?

This topic just makes me rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment